What was this pop quiz that saw so many failures you ask? It was the exam given to would be U.S. citizen hopefuls before they can precede on to the next step of swearing their oath of allegiance. It consists of 10 questions and at least 6 must be right in order to pass. I got 7 right....and this actually surprised me because it has been a very long time since I sat in a govt. class...much less thought about any of those subjects asked about. I was even more surprised that those high numbers that failed in our class were mainly younger students that probably had govt. classes within the past 2 or 3 years...not to mention some of those questions were pretty basic information.
Shades of Jay Leno's stupid Americans segment came to mind...seriously...very sad.
Anyhow...here's the questions we were asked. I want you guys to answer the questions as best you can...WITHOUT googling (yeah that means YOU) just to see how "American" you are and to judge whether or not you could pass the same test would be Americans have to pass to be considered American citizen criteria.
Try not to look at other people's answers either....at least not until you hit submit. I won't put the answers until some people have had a go.
1. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful.
2. How many amendments to the constitution are there?
3. How many House of Representatives have the power to vote?
4. What are the rights of a U.S. citizen?
5. Who has the right to vote?
6. Who is one of the 3 authors of the Federalist Papers?
7. What territory did the U.S. buy from France?
8. Who was the president during WWI?
9. Name one of the territories of the U.S.?
10. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
Just so you know, I missed #'s 3, 6, ad 8...which I thought wasn't too bad. How well can you do?
Have fun...remember...NO cheating!!!